Fantasy Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Fiction

A place where everyone that loves Eminem can read news, write & voice their opinions on Eminem fan fiction.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thanking Eminem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thanking Eminem Empty
PostSubject: Thanking Eminem   Thanking Eminem Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanking Eminem
Written by John Michael Zapf | | letters@toledofreepress.com
We are on the return flight home from Los Angeles, and I still can’t believe it. Three weeks ago, the idea that anyone, let alone rap mogul Eminem, would fly me and 200 other unemployed United Auto Workers to a Hollywood, Calif. concert did not exist in my realm of possibilities.

Nowhere in my mind was the thought that we would ever be staying at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa, looking at the famous Hollywood sign up on the hill.

Some of my fellow UAW members are temporarily laid off due the Chrysler bankruptcy, but many come from plants that have closed, moved or are in the process of shutting down.

Now 200 production workers whose future was at best unforeseen share in the dream of an all-expense paid trip out west for a live taping of a “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” show and an Eminem concert. I don’t know exactly how to explain it, but it doesn’t feel like I am living my life. Everything, from the first-class warm towelette for all passengers on the flight out, to the king-sized bed with seven pillows (with a triangle-shaped one that I’m not sure what it’s for), to the handing out of $60 cash to spend has been surreal.

Everything exceeded expectations and was replaced by something better.

As we stood in line waiting to enter the ABC studios for the start of the show, everything finally made sense. This is a dream-come-true experience.

Even though the cash reserves were low, and the economy will probably get worse before it gets better, for this day I could not feel bad about the circumstances in my life at this moment.

The thought, “something good is happening to me,” which hasn’t popped in for many of us in a while now, invaded every cell of my entire being. Life was better than good.”

Not that I want to trade in the place I call home for the hustle and bustle of the Sunset Strip, but if the idea was to help auto production workers escape from the reality of their less-than-desirable future, the mission was accomplished.

Many thanks to Eminem, Jimmy Kimmel, the UAW, ABC and all those who helped to make this life-changing experience possible. As all of us who shared the experience now know for certain, even if the future looks bleak, anything is possible.

And to top it all off, they just handed us all tickets to Eminem’s “Relapse” release event in Detroit.

Jon Michael Zapf is laid off from his job at O.M.M.C. as a parts supplier to the Jeep Wrangler. Zapf volunteers his time to host “Reflections, The Wisdom of Edgar Cayce” radio show on CBS radio’s www.psychiconair.com.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasyfiction.aforumfree.com

Thanking Eminem
Page 1 of 1