Fantasy Fiction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Fiction

A place where everyone that loves Eminem can read news, write & voice their opinions on Eminem fan fiction.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Obie Trice Speaks on New Music, Eminem and Proof

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Superman
Admin
Superman

Obie Trice Speaks on New Music, Eminem and Proof  Empty
PostSubject: Obie Trice Speaks on New Music, Eminem and Proof    Obie Trice Speaks on New Music, Eminem and Proof  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Obie Trice Speaks on New Music, Eminem and Proof  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAVvUayuYdWNX-Be2GIgfLqgdccGCCZjGJWPS_1JEhFeZCQM-y

Obie Trice talks love for Eminem, independent situation, Proof and losing his mother to cancer…

September 1, 2011 - 9:00 AM
No Comments
Post A Comment

1 2
Previous1 of 3Next

It’s been a tumultuous past few years for Obie Trice.

The former Shady Records MC was shot in the head on a Detroit expressway on December 31, 2005. Just four months later his good friend Proof was killed during an altercation outside a Detroit nightclub on 8 Mile Road. In 2008, his situation with Shady Records fizzled. Then this past July, approximately a year after launching his own Black Market Entertainment independent label, Obie’s mother succumbed to breast cancer.

“I been through a lot, man,” Trice told XXL. “It’s just been a long road.”

That’s for sure. Yet, Obie is fighting through the turmoil with music, having recently released “Battle Cry,” the first single off his Bottoms Up album due in stores January 17, 2012. Here, Obie talks to XXL about his independent situation, love and respect for Eminem, how the situation soured at Shady and losing his mom to cancer. —Mark Lelinwalla

XXL: What is your current situation?

Obie Trice: Black Market Entertainment. That’s my own label. Got the album, Bottoms Up on 1-17-12. I’m just ready to do my own thing, ready to go.

How do you feel about your independent situation and the music you’re about to present to listeners within months?

The independent thing, that’s what I wanted to do with this album. I wanted to run and own my own company and put artists out that are dope. That’s what I plan to do. The music on Bottoms Up…I think it’s a great album. It’s a good look for me, my company and myself. “Battle Cry,” my single is on iTunes, Amazon [August 23]. I’m really excited. I’m older, I been through a lot in this music industry and I like the album. I respect the album just as I do with [previous albums] Second Round’s On Me and Cheers also. I feel like this is a good look, a good comeback album.

You’ve been known as a lyrical MC. Is there anything on Bottoms Up that’s coming out of left field?

I think the people who know my music are going to appreciate it. I’m giving them good music. I got Dr. Dre production, Eminem is doing production and is also on a record with me, but it’s basically me. It’s just good music that people could relate to.

You mentioned that Eminem has production on the album and is featured on songs with you?

“No Turning Back” is one and there’s another joint.

So, it could be two joints?

Or it could be more. It could be more. [Eminem’s] my dude. You know how it goes. You just make music until it’s time to hand it in.

When you talk to Em these days, does he give you advice about your independent situation or is it more on some kick it stuff?

It’s more of a kick-it type of situation. I spend nights at his crib, my daughter plays with his daughter. We got a more personal relationship than anything. For him to give me advice, though, I definitely will take it because you’re talking about someone who sold a lot of records despite his skin color. He’s still an animal with music. He’s still great at what he do. I appreciate Eminem forever for giving me an opportunity and making my name a brand and being able to do what I love. That has a lot to do with Marshall Mathers. The Jimmy Iovine thing and [fallout with Shady Records]…I missed Big Boy’s show out in Cali, the Power show. I flew out to California and the A&Rs got me hanging tough in Cali. I’m coming from Detroit to California. I’m a little jet-lagged, but I’m still hanging, so I get in real early in the morning and I kind of barricaded myself in the room. They wanted me to get up and go to Big Boy’s show at 7 in the morning and I just got in, so I didn’t make it. Jimmy Iovine really had an issue with that and he didn’t want to further my situation. When you fresh out the hood, they don’t have no artist development or no shit like that. Not to say that you need it—because I should have been on my j-o-b—but there’s two ways to look at the situation. So, I had to do what I had to do with Black Market Entertainment. I still got my loved one Em, I still got my loved one Dre. Everybody still fuck with me. It’s just a business decision that Jimmy made.

Obie Trice talks love for Eminem, independent situation, Proof and losing his mother to cancer…

September 1, 2011 - 9:00 AM
No Comments
Post A Comment

1 2
Previous1 of 3Next

Right. You’re a Detroit cat through and through. How do you feel about Royce da 5’9″ and Em squashing their beef and putting out that successful EP?

I’m a big fan of Slaughterhouse and I’m a big fan of Royce. I always been a fan of Royce. Royce is a lyrical dude and it’s good that people could go through things and get back with each other because a majority of times that doesn’t happen. It’s been a long time since they haven’t been with each other, so things have been swept underneath the rug, I assume, and they back. I think they make a great duo together. The chemistry between Royce and Em is dope. It’s always good to see a brother from the city do his thing. Royce always been dope and put out good music. Him and Preemo. I’m a big fan of Preemo. I’m a big fan of his. I’m happy that he squashed the situation and is able to move on.

How do you feel about the moves Em is making with Shady 2.0?

It’s a business. They want to have a successful situation like they had in the past. They got to continue to grow and continue to blossom. I like the situation that’s going on over there and I wish the best for everyone at Shady 2.0. I think all the people there got a vision in store for the label and Eminem being one of the biggest artists in the industry…he wants to make stars, not just him. He wants someone to be able to say, Come get on my G4, G5 [Jet] today. I believe that’s a good look to mold people into superstars when you already have seniority in the game, that ambition and drive and you’re already a successful person.

There’s a kid by the name of Danny Brown out of Detroit who is generating buzz. You familiar with him?

Yeah, I’m familiar with the name. I’m familiar with some of his music, but I don’t know him personally. I think Danny is dope. I think Danny is a good artist, man. There’s a lot of artists here.

The NFL season is about to kick off. People are actually high on your Detroit Lions for a change [Laughing].

[Laughing]. We want them to handle their business. I’m thinking 8-8 and they could slide in the playoffs. I’m hoping they could do an 8-8 and get in the playoffs this year. We revised our team over here and only time will tell. I wish I was clarvoyent to be able to say what the end results are…then all of us could go to Vegas.

Tell me a little more about “Battle Cry.”

This is the first single from my hiatus. The song is about keeping it moving no matter what situation you’re in. Sometimes we get stagnated because we take so many blows. We get knocked into the turnbuckle and we don’t get up from that. A lot of us, I don’t care who you are, have these problems. They’re trying to cut off welfare here [in Detroit] October 1st. A lot of our rich brothers don’t understand. They probably don’t care and say, Yeah cut them off. But for a lot of these people there’s nothing left to do, but go out and commit crimes. Some of these people are not capable of holding down a job. These things aren’t for everybody. A lot of people aren’t living in these areas where there’s victims of these types of circumstance. Some people live a better life.

You’re no stranger to struggle. You’ve been through a lot the past few years alone.

I lost Proof, I almost got killed. Proof got murdered a couple of months after I got shot in the head. Yeah and I just lost my mother to breast cancer July 13. My little lady, you know what I’m saying. She was at my label launch party last year and that was in May. A couple of months later she got a lump. This was a woman who raised three boys, worked all her life, real high on tardiness and punctuality. I could come home with all Fs, as long as I was in school. She was a real hardworking, strong woman and to see her deteriorate like that within a year, that was detrimental to me. It spread so rapidly. It went to her liver, her stomach, bones and lungs. She couldn’t take chemotherapy. She knew that I was planning to put my record out. She was just too sick to be part of it, so that brought me down. She was about to be 67 years old, which is extremely young and she got her mammograms every year all her life. She worked for Chrysler for 41 years and missed 30 days out of 41 years. She worked for the plant. A real strong individual. So, to lose her, it took something from me. I’ve done breast cancer walks and done all the breast cancer things. I tell young ladies, Fuck your titties, touch your titties. I don’t know if you lost your mother—I don’t care who she is, a crackhead, rich, stubborn, an asshole…you only get one mother—so, that put some weight on me a little bit. If you recall, on Cheers, I dedicated a song to her called “Don’t Come Down” and shot a video for that and that was about all the knucklehead shit a young guy goes through, puts his family through and mother through. No pop around. I gave her that a long time ago. I want to do a song for her this album, but I’m struggling with that at the moment. The words just won’t come out now. Hopefully by 1-17-12, I been done it. I just can’t find those words right now.

One day you might be able to.

One day I might be able to…or I might not.

http://www.xxlmag.com/features/2011/09/obie-trice-battle-cry-2/
Back to top Go down
http://fictions.twilight-vampire.com/forum.htm

Page 1 of 1